Saving for students
Student life opens up a world of opportunities – you’ll be meeting new people and having a lot of new experiences. But it’s also a time when you need to survive on a limited income with extra expenses like textbooks and technology.
Here are a few things you can do to help manage your finances and still enjoy your lifestyle.
- Use your student card for great discounts on public transport.
- Buy an annual Metlink card rather than a two-hour or daily card – it could save you hundreds per year.
- Walk when you can – it’s free and you stay fit.
- Buy second hand textbooks– check out your university bulletin board for the latest bargains.
- Give your wardrobe a spring clean and sell the items you don’t need on eBay.
- Explore markets and garage sales to find great bargains.
- Make birthday gifts for your friends.
- Buy home brand products – they’re usually a lot cheaper.
- Do your shopping online – try sites like www.amazon.com to save on books.
- Shop at your local market on Sunday, around closing time.
- Leave your credit card at home – use cash to avoid unnecessary spending.
Sports and entertainment
- Take advantage of university sports and gym memberships – they usually offer cheaper rates.
- Check out your local paper for free gigs and events.
- Make the most of Monday or Tuesday cheap movie nights.
Food and drink
- Have some friends over for a pizza instead of going out for dinner.
- Before eating out, check for specials at your local pub or favourite restaurant.
- Get to nightclubs early, before the cover charge applies.
- Have a meal with your parents.
- Check your fridge and cupboards before a grocery shop and use food before its use-by date.
- Pack your lunch instead of buying it.
- Avoid buying rounds of drinks – pay for your own.
- Check out www.urbanspoon.com.au to search for cheap eats, or download the urban spoon app on your iPhone.
- Bank with an insitution that offers fee free banking for students.
- Use your own bank/credit union ATM to avoid fees.
Get a part time job
- Check out your local university bulletin
- Check out www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au for the latest job vacancies
Check out the following websites for some great bargains: